Friday, July 27, 2007

Thai Tranquility

I shot these photos as I zig-zagged across Thailand. The first picture is of Buddha's hand at a ruin in Sukhothai, one of the former Thai capitals.



This second photo I took at a cemetery for American servicemembers in the province of Kanchanaburi which is about 150 miles outside of the modern capital, Bangkok. That's where the River Kwai is and the cemetery holds the remains of Americans who died during World War Two. If you look closely, you can see two Thai women taking care of the grass and weeds around the headstones. There is also a small wheelbarrow on the right-hand side of the frame. The ruins were so ancient and the cemetery was so grounding. Both images struck me as so serene and calm and I wanted to capture the feeling while I was in the moment. You can click on both images to make them larger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was standing in this graveyard as part of a "WWII Survivors Tour", and overheard two of the guys on the tour tell the following story:

First guy: "Remember when we buried old what's his name here, and it was raining so hard?"
Second guy: "Yeah, it was coming down in buckets. Didn't you have to stand on top of him to keep him from floating away while I shoveled the mud in?"