Thursday, August 9, 2007

Twin Islands

The Mokulua Islands, or the "Mokes", are located off the windward coast of Oahu, Hawaii. Many people think when you look at the two islands together, they look like a woman with her head tilted back with her knees sticking out of the water. They really are an impressive sight.

I took these three photographs on different days and during different months. It's hard to believe but the colors in the images are as they were on those days, I didn't tinker with any of them. It is amazing to see how the same subject can look so different. To see the details, you can click on them to make them larger.






Moku lua means "two islands" in Hawaiian but the frequently photographed pair are more commonly referred to as the "twin islands." The larger island on the left is Moku Nui and the smaller, Moku Iki. The Mokes are about a mile and a half away if you launch a kayak or jump on a surfboard from the gorgeous Lanikai beach in Kailua. I got to Moku Nui by kayak. What I remember the most about it was if you walked around to the open ocean side, the water was incredibly powerful. The surf would hit the rocks and water would go flying high into the air. It was intriguing and yet frightening at the same time because I remember thinking I could get sucked out into the ocean at any time.

If you want to see my other images from Hawaii, click here or here.

3 comments:

Alexiev said...

Great image... and island... The best...

http://www.alexiev.com.ar

Anonymous said...

Sweet pics, makes me want to go...

Κατουρημένη ποδιά said...

hi there! I just found your blog and checked all your posts. Great photos..